Skip to main content

The start of all things

This is my first attempt at writing a blog. I have never been a good writer, so bear with me. I am starting this blog on suggestion from a few friends and family...

When my husband and I got married in November 2013 we decided to wait at least a year before considering having children. Much to our surprise when we found out on our 6 month anniversary that I was indeed pregnant. We decided to tell most of our loved ones so that we have more people to pray for us and that we could have a greater support structure from the start (and I suck at keeping secrets). I struggled for weeks to find an affordable yet reputable OB/GYN and after speaking to a friends mom, she got me an appointment at a fantastic doctor.

We were both extremely excited and equally nervous for our first appointment. As I was laying on the not-so-comfortable bed/table at the OB/GYN, seeing the first images of a little peanut brought tears to both our eyes. I think a bit more because of the reality shock than of joy at that moment.
Imagine our surprise when the Dr was finished scrutinizing the peanut and found another one! TWO PEANUTS!!! IDENTICAL!! What are the chances? I thought my chances of having twins were very slim as it does not run in my family. Well, it turns out that identical twins are not genetic, but technically a natural phenomenon. Science to this day cannot explain what triggers one egg, and one sperm to split. They only saw it happening in a petri dish for the first time in 2007.

Well after the shock and excitement at the Dr, we decided to first go and tell my mom, dad and brother, and the hubby's, mom. I realized that I always said I wanted 2 kids before I turned 30. I would turn 29 in November. I did not think that God would have such a sense of humor to give me twins :)

Here are their reactions:












The rest of my pregnancy went really well. I did not experience any morning sickness, not hectic cravings, no backache or any of the other general things that might happen.
At my 32 week visit, the doctor became a bit concerned as suddenly there was traces of protein in my urine and my blood pressure started going up. He asked me to stay on a high protein, low salt diet and stay on my left side as much as possible when sleeping. He was obviously going away on holiday as it was at the end of 2014. I told him that if he was not comfortable with leaving the twins until he returns from holiday, he has to take them out before he goes, I do not want to work with a stand-by doctor that does not know my history and who I do not know.

The next visit was at 33 weeks. Doc was very concerned as even more protein was present and my blood pressure stood at about 140/90. I was sent for blood test to make sure that my liver was functioning properly. The twins were still doing fine. At 34 weeks, Monday before Christmas, we went for another visit. Still more protein and higher blood pressure. We saw the doctor that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. On the Thursday morning, as I was getting ready to go to a Christmas lunch. the doctor phoned us and asked to see us before he leaves on holiday that evening. I must say that I did feel very short of breath that morning, but thought it was because of the extreme weather we were experiencing.

After monitoring the twins hearts and testing urine again, the Doc decided that they would be born later that day, as an emergency C. I was starting to contract Pre-eclampsia and the only cure therefore is childbirth.
We rushed back home to go and fetch my hospital bags and to let everyone know about what was going on.

The hospital where my bed was booked months earlier did not have 2 beds in the NICU available. so I had to go to a hospital that was not part of our medical aid health scheme. This would result in a 30% co payment! Luckily when my Doc heard this, he wanted to speak to the call center agent from the medical aid. He told them that this is a medical emergency and that we do not currently have a choice on where we can go for the birth. The call center agent said that an investigation would be launched and if it was indeed an emergency we would not be liable for a co payment and that they would pay everything in full. That was a massive relief.

We booked into the hospital, I was being prepped for the C-section and our two beautiful girls were born on 25 December 2014 at 15:39 and 15:41.

What an amazing blessing...



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing Mama Mouse! WOW what an amazing experience!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Medicine cabinet essentials for toddlers.

So it has been more than a year since my last post. What can I say? Life is busy, and when you keep on putting something off, you end up not doing it at all! A lot has happened in the last year. I am not even sure what to tell and what not. I have become an expert in pediatric medicine because of all the time the twins have been ill. Luckily, thus far, they have not needed to be admitted to hospital. So I thought I should compile a top 10 list of medicine I would suggest always having on hand if you have toddlers and younger. These are typically things that you will be able to get without a prescription. I tend to look for medicine that does not contain too much alcohol or sugar. Here is my list in no particular order. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or pharmacist. This is just a list of things that I found, with experience, I constantly needed this far in my kids life. So obviously, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using anything on my list. 1. Glycerin Glycerin

5 Weeks of Uncertainty

Today I am very thankful that it is not a year ago this time. We made it to 2 weeks at home, alone, and everyone was still alive. Well, I didn't feel alive, but I was... After the wonder birth of the twins, I was wheeled back to my room. The twins were taken to NICU as they only weighed 1.79kg and 1.75kg. Their  AGPAR scores were 9/10 and 8/10 and they did not need any oxygen, so it was purely because of their weight. I started having more difficulty breathing. My husband called the nurses and they came to check my blood pressure. They walked out of the room calmly, but shortly after came back telling me that they were moving me to ICU for observation. After that, everything became a bit cloudy. I remember a doctor coming to me while in ICU. He was cutting into my neck to add a central line and it burned like crazy. He tried to add another internal IV to my right arm but didn't manage to get a vain. He then found one in my right arm. I remember really struggling to breat